Thursday, June 2, 2011

We have a lot in common...just not very much.

The headline sounds like something someone you are dating would say to you right before he dumps you - a variation of, "It's not you, it's me." But in my reality, this is something my 10 year old said to me.


Looking back, I can't even remember what the conversation was about, just that I had said something to him about us not agreeing on much. Now that I think about it, it was probably about what I was going to make for dinner. Anyway, his response to me was, "Mom, we have a lot in common. Just not very much." With those eleven words, he essentially summed up how I often feel about our relationship.


This blog had been steeping in my brain, for what seems like forever. I recently signed up for the 31 Days to Build a Better Blog over on the SITS Girls website, but for my business blog. Now was as good a time as ever to work on this one too, I figured. Once I decided to jump in, I was faced with the hardest task of getting started. It needed a title. 


What would it be? A jazzy play on words? A trendy portmanteau? Some perfectly poetic alliteration? It did not help that each "original" idea I had was already taken. Then yesterday, as I re-played that conversation with my son in my head, I realized that his quote had become somewhat of a mantra to me. It was the balance. The glue that holds our little family unit together. He is like me in so many ways, but at the same time he is so very different.  Together, we are a lot...but not much. Thus, a title was born. 


So there you have it.  I know that there are practically just as many mom blogs out there as there are actual moms, but I don't care. This one is mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment